Pages

Monday 1 February 2010

Google Power Meter

I've been using the AlertMe Energy gizmo for over a month now, and predictably I've become much more interested in my electricity consumption. Apart from the Google Power Meter glaring at me every time I visit iGoogle, it also emails a weekly summary of statistics.

And if that wasn't enough, the gizmo itself sits on the desk cycling through various hypnotic colours as power usage goes up and down (the best light show is when it does a firmware upgrade, though - perhaps I'll try and video that next time it happens..).

I've started to consciously think about turning things off, just to try and get my history chart on a downward trend. And this is the premise on which the gizmo - and others like it - work. But without figures for gas usage it's still only half a solution. I suppose we'll just have to wait until 2020 when we all get our government-sanctioned smart energy meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment