Fresh from Acer's press conference today in New York, here are the first pictures of its new Iconia tablet device. This is an odd contraption that uses two 14in capacitive multi-touch LED-backlit screens, each running at 1366 by 768 resolution and made from 'Gorilla Glass' (the stuff on the iPhone 4).
It runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and is powered by a range of Core i5 CPUs. I've posted full specs from the press release below.
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit1
CPU and chipset2
Intel® Core™ i5-480M/i5-560M/i5-580M processor (3 MB L3 cache, 2.66/2.66/2.66 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93/3.20/3.33 GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel® Smart Cache
Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
Memory2, 3, 4
Dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM support:
· Up to 4 GB of DDR3 1066 MHz system memory, upgradable to 8 GB using two soDIMM modules5
Dual multi-touch screens
14" HD 1366 x 768 resolution, high-brightness (200-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCDs, supporting all-point finger touch
Tempered glass with fingerprint-resistant coating
16:9 aspect ratio
Intel® HD Graphics with 128 MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10
Dual independent display support
16.7 million colors
External resolution / refresh rates:6
· VGA port up to 2560 x 1600: 60 Hz
· HDMI® port up to 1920 x 1200: 60 Hz
WMV9 (VC-1) and H.264 (AVC) decoding
HDMI® (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support
Optimized Dolby® Home Theater®7 v3 audio enhancement, featuring Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby® Headphone, Dolby® Natural Bass, Dolby® Sound Space Expander, Dolby® Audio Optimization, Dolby® High Frequency Enhancer technologies8
High-definition audio support
S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface)9 support for digital speakers
Hard disk drive: 320/500/640/750 GB or larger1, 10
Acer Video Conference,2 featuring:
· Acer Crystal Eye webcam with 1280 x 1024 resolution
· Acer Video Conference Manager software, featuring Video Quality Enhancement (VQE) technology, supporting 640 x 480 resolution online video calls11
Wireless and networking
WLAN:2, 12, 13
· Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
· Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
· Supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology
WPAN:2 Bluetooth® 3.0+HS
WWAN:2, 12 UMTS/HSPA at 850/900/1900/2100 MHz and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE at 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, upgradable to 7.2 Mb/s HSDPA and 5.7 Mb/s HSUPA (for 3G models)
LAN: Gigabit Ethernet, Wake-on-LAN ready
BIOS user, supervisor, HDD passwords
Kensington lock slot
Dimensions and weight2
347 (W) x 248.5 (D) x 19/31.9 (H) mm (13.53 x 9.69 x 0.74/1.24 inches)
2.8 kg (6.18 lbs.)14 with 4-cell battery
Power adapter and battery2
ACPI 3.0 CPU power management standard: supports Standby and Hibernation power-saving modes
3-pin 65 W AC adapter:
· 95 (W) x 50 (D) x 25.4 (H) mm (3.74 x 1.96 x 1 inches)
· 216 g (0.47 lbs)14 with 180 cm DC cable
44 Wh 3000 mAh 4-cell Li-ion standard battery pack
Battery life: 3 hours15
Input and control
Multi-touch virtual keyboard with standard QWERTY layout and international language support, featuring:
· Numeric keypad
· Predictive text input
· Multi-gesture handwriting mode
· Virtual touchpad
Input and output
Two USB 2.0 ports
USB 3.0 port
HDMI® port with HDCP support
External display (VGA) port
Headphone/speaker jack with S/PDIF support
Ethernet (RJ-45) port
DC-in jack for AC adapter
Productivity: Acer eRecovery Management; Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1; Adobe® Reader® 9.1; Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader (US only); Bing™ Bar; Device Control; eSobi™; Gesture Editor; Microsoft® Office 2010 preloaded (purchase a product key to activate)17; Microsoft® Office Starter 201018; New York Times Reader (US only); Norton™ Online Backup; Virtual Keyboard; Window Manager
Security: McAfee® Internet Security Suite Trial19
Multimedia: My Journal; Scrapbook; TouchMusic; TouchPhoto; TouchVideo
Communication and ISP: Acer Crystal Eye; Acer Video Conference Manager2; Skype™; SocialJogger; Microsoft® Silverlight™; TouchBrowser; Windows Live™ Essentials2
Web links and utilities: Acer Accessory Store2 (Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, UK only); Acer Identity Card; Acer Registration; Acer Updater; eBay® shortcut 20092 (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Spain, UK, US only);Netflix shortcut2 (US only)
Options and accessories
2 GB / 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz soDIMM module
3-pin 60W/90 W AC adapter
External USB optical disc drive
External USB Lite and LSI modem
One-year International Travelers Warranty (ITW)
Windows®. Life without Walls™. Acer recommends Windows 7.
1. 64-bit software is required to enjoy the advantages of 64-bit processing.
2. Specifications vary depending on model.
3. Shared system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors. Actual system memory available to the operating system will be reduced by any memory used by the graphics solution and resources required by the operating environment.
4. This system is bundled with DDR3 1066 MHz memory; however, memory speed may vary depending on CPU/chipset support.
5. A 64-bit operating system is required to enjoy the ultimate performance of 4 GB or higher memory.
6. Resolution/refresh rates depend on display and color/depth settings.
7. Dolby® is a registered trademark of Dolby® Laboratories. Dolby Home Theater® is a trademark of Dolby® Laboratories.
8. Dolby® Pro Logic® and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby® Laboratories.
9. Supports 5.1-channel surround sound and 2-channel stereo output (multiple streaming).
10. 1 GB is 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less and may vary depending on preloaded materials and the operating environment. Acer eRecovery Management utilizes up to 10 GB of the stated hard disk capacity as dedicated backup space.
11. Two VQE-enabled Acer notebooks with dual-core processors are required to enjoy the exclusive benefits and added performance of VQE.
12. Actual throughput may vary depending on network conditions and environmental factors such as network traffic or overhead, building construction, and access point settings.
13. Acer Nplify™, a high-throughput wireless solution, delivers superior performance and reliable connections while enabling emerging voice, video and data applications. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™, it supports Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology and is compliant with 802.11b/g/n and 802.11b/g standards.
14. Weight may vary depending on product configuration, vendor components, manufacturing variability, and selected options.
15. The listed battery life is based on MobileMark 2007® productivity mode testing with wireless on. Details of MobileMark2007® testing are available at www.bapco.com. Battery life rating is for comparison purposes only. Actual battery life varies by model, configuration, applications, power management settings, operating conditions, and utilized features. A battery's maximum capacity decreases with time and use.
16. Bundled software may vary depending on hardware configuration, OS and regional availability.
17. Purchase an Office 2010 product key to activate one of the following Office 2010 suites preloaded on this PC: Office Home and Student 2010, Office Home and Business 2010, Office Professional 2010.
18. Includes Microsoft® Office 2010 preloaded. Purchase a product key to activate a full Microsoft® Office 2010 suite. This PC is preloaded with reduced-functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising. PowerPoint, Outlook and Publisher are not included.
19. Trial periods vary depending on the geographic region and specifications: 365-day trial for China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore (Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese OS models); 60-day trial for other regions.